Would you like to learn more?
The international AMI Assistants Certificate Course is for anyone interested in education and child development. The intention is also to help interested adults become able assistants in a Montessori Infant and Toddler Community. In a Montessori classroom, the assistant supports the lead teacher and helps him/her to create and retain balance. He/she observes children and knows when to intervene and when to withhold from helping. He/she knows how to support children in developing independence and has a deep understanding of Montessori's approach to freedom and discipline. He/she is a great supporter for the lead teacher and for the child.
Here is the course info and schedule:
COURSE DIRECTOR - Heidi Philippart
Heidi Philippart M.A.(Edu), A.M.I.(Dip), lives and works in Amsterdam. She was first introduced to Montessori in the late 80’s early 90’s, while working under the guidance of Patty Wallner (AMI Assistant to Infancy trainer) and Silvana Montanaro (founder of the AMI Assistant to Infancy programme). Heidi trained in Denver with Judi Orion on the Assistant to Infancy level, has worked extensively with the 0-3 programme and is an AMI trainer on the Assistant to Infancy level.
In 1996 she opened her first Montessori school and now runs two small Montessori Bilingual Preschools in the centre of Amsterdam, working with between 80 - 90 families every year. Her speciality is helping parents in the application of Montessori principles and bilingualism in the home environment. Heidi has spoken extensively around the Netherlands and internationally (France, USA, Australia, Britain) on Montessori related topics such as toilet independence, preparation of the home environment and the general area of birth to three. Heidi is presently working on the AMI Diploma - Assistant to Infancy in London.
BENEFITS OF THE COURSE
- Receive International Certificate by Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) recognized all over the world.
- Learn from a very experienced AMI Training Directress Heidi Philippart.
- Study International AMI Assistants Course from the comfort of your home.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
- School leaders and administrators
- All adults interested in child development
GOAL OF THE COURSE
- Become able assistants in a Montessori Nido and/or Montessori Toddler Community.
- Learn how to support and help the classroom director/directress maintain equilibrium within the class, how to observe, when and how to intervene and not interfere.
- Gain knowledge of Montessori's understanding of development of independence.
- Acquire the ability to support the development of the child by assisting the teacher.
- Course48 hours of live online sessions.
- Independent StudyApproximately 6 hours of independent study.
- Observation9 additional hours of obligatory observations.
- COVID-19 RestrictionsSpecific instructions on how to observe will be given during the Course, taking into account the restrictions which may be imposed by Covid 19.
THE COURSE CONTENT:
- I. Introduction to Montessori
- II. The Role of the Directress
- III. The Role of the Assistant
- IV. Overview of the Planes of Development
- V. The Child's Mind from 0-6 years
- VI. Order
- VII. Movement 0-3
- VIII. Language
- IX. Independence
- X. Prepared environment
- XI. Freedom and Discipline
- XII. Observation
- XIII. Music and Art
- XIV. Maintaining the Environment
- XV: Toilet Learning
- XVI: Material Making
- With interpretation of the spoken word to Czech and Hebrew.
- All course work, including written assignments, can be done in English, Czech, Slovak and Hebrew.
- Students need to have an adequate level of spoken and written English, Czech, Slovak or Hebrew to take the course.
- Absorbent Mind, Chapter 3, The periods of Growth; Maria Montessori
- Absorbent Mind, Chapter 11, How Language Calls to the Child; Maria Montessori
- Child in the Family, Chapter 8, The Child's Environment; Maria Montessori
- Child in the Family, Chapter 9, Child in the Family; Maria Montessori
- Understanding the Human Being, Chapter 9, The Development of Coordinated Movement; Silvana Q. Montanaro
- Understanding the Human Being, Chapter 10, The Development of Language; Silvana Q. Montanaro
- Education for a New World, Chapter 12, The Bugbear of Discipline; Maria Montessori
- The 1946 London Lectures, Chapter 14 The psychology of the Newborn; Maria Montessori
- The 1946 London Lectures, Chapter 16 Spontaneous Activity; Maria Montessori
- The 1946 London Lectures, Chapter 18 Education for Independence; Maria Montessori.
- Adequate level of English, Czech, Slovak or Hebrew to allow efficient study in the course.
- Ability to study at a higher academic level.
- Positive motivation to study and willingness to positively and constructively cooperate with the Course Director and the training center staff.
- Payment of the course-fee.
- Computer availability and good access to the Internet for the whole time of the course.
- A quiet place to study.
Every student who fulfills the enrollment criteria will be accepted to the course, however: good command of written and spoken English is a prerequisite to take the course. If during the course a student faces difficulties due to insufficient level of English, they may be invited to come back to take the course later, once their English has improved.
- There will be live lectures given by trainers on “Zoom” platform.
- Course work and course communication will be done on platform “Schoology”.
- The course requires general ability to use computers and the internet and willingness to learn to use Zoom and Schoology platforms.
- Students will receive technical support during the period of time when the course is given.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATION
- Three essaysSubmission of three papers (500 words) on topics set by the Trainer.
- Observation9 hours of observation.
- Reports and NotesSubmission of observation notes and observation report.
- MaterialsSubmission of handmade materials - mobiles and language cards and making of the video of a 3period lesson.
- AttendanceMinimum of 90% attendance.
- You have 12 weeks to submit all the assignments.If students do not finish their requirements for certification on time before the course finishes, they have 12 weeks to submit their missing work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will the sessions be recorded?
No. Students are required to be present during 90% of lectures to fulfil their attendance requirement. All lectures are live presentations by the Trainer. There will be no lecture recordings.
How will the course be held?
The course is broadcasted live on ZOOM. More about it can be found on the website www.zoom.us. We recommend downloading this application to your PC or your phone, to be able to follow the sessions from different devices, and have all the options offered by Zoom available. There will be lectures, discussions, practice sessions, and group work done in Breakout Rooms. Students will receive technical support before the course to learn how to use Zoom effectively.
What happens if I have some sudden problems with the internet?
We kindly ask you to check the quality of your internet connection in advance. Ideally, use cable connection. Good internet connection is a condition for taking the course. If you have a one time sudden fluctuation of your signal, leave the Zoom meeting and come back. If your connection problems are repeating, you will be asked to leave the course. There is a 90% attendance requirement, which is valid for all the students. Students who can not attend 90% of the course are not eligible to receive the certificate.
How do you arrange interpretation to Czech and Hebrew?
The interpretation is available on a separate audio Zoom channel. We will explain how to switch between the channels and how to do the settings before the start of the course. Interpretation will be simultaneous.
What does 90% of attendance mean in this online format of the course?
The 90% attendance means that you must be present at minimum 90% of the course with your camera ON. This is a requirement of the course. We need to see that you are present at all times. You must attend Day 1 of the course. Missing Day 1 of the course will result in termination of your studies in the course.
Where will we find our assingments and materials for the course?
The course uses a Learning Platform called Schoology. Instruction how to log into Schoology and how to use it will be given to students prior to the start of the course.
When should I pay?
Once you have read all the course information and understood the requirements and conditions, you can fill in your application, and make the payment on our website.
Why do I need to submit an essay about my motivation to study after I am registered?
We need to make sure that all students taking the course in English have a sufficient level of written and spoken English language. That is why we will ask you to submit a one page essay about your motivation to study. Instruction will be given to you after you enrol to the course.
In what time zone is the course schedule?
The course is schedule in CET (Central European Time Zone), or in another-words - in Prague Time. In case you are located in a different time zone, please carefully check the time difference and make an informed decision if the course time fits you. We will be happy if you join us wherever you are, but it is your responsibility to be present during all times of the course.
I have children, can they be with me while I am studying?
We love children, of course. They are the reason why we give this course. However, a quiet working space without disturbance of other adults and children is a requirement for participation in the course.
Why is this course online?
The Covid 19 situation requires new solutions to providing Montessori education. We are really excited for having this opportunity to educate adults all over the world. Online courses can not substitute for onsite courses. Montessori teachers diploma courses will always need to be held in an onsite format, however, the content of the Assistants Courses is suitable to be given online.
What is the price of the course?
The price of the course is 800 Eur. We have special offers and discounts to our returning clients, participants of Lead Montessori 2019 Conference, and groups of teachers sent from the same school. For more information write to firstname.lastname@example.org.